Sunday, June 29, 2008

New Job

Recently got a new job with Time Warner Cable. Its awesome. I deal with some extremely smart people, work less hours, and am able to go more indepth learning monitoring/management systems. Currently I work with OpenService's NerveCenter and InfoCenter. NerveCenter is awesome. I worked with Nagios before which is kind of an equivalent. However, NC is capable of having alarm models that use states instead of just severity level. Basically what this means is you are in condition state A. Then an event happens that triggers a transition to state B. Now when that same event happens it doesn't do anything because it was only used to go from state A to state B. With Nagios, you just get notified that the event happened.

I get to play with SNMP and Perl; both of which I've been wanting to learn more indepth for a long time, but just haven't had the time. It's not overly challenging, just new situations and desired solutions. But I know as time goes on there will be more piled on, giving more access to new systems and new challenges. Can't wait.

1 comment:

altered said...

There are so many "ghost blogs" all over the internet...

People began writing them at one point or another, and then eventually just lost interest and/or disappeared...

Like your blog, which hasn't been updated for over 2 years. I read your entries, and became interested in what happened to your "new" job. But will I ever know? have you gotten married since then? committed suicide? got fired?

who knows.

anyway, good luck. And, I agree, Gateway suks. it is "Acer" now, by the way.